Special reports are one of the quickest and easiest writing projects on the planet. And you can make a small fortune writing and selling them -- or even giving them away.
There's no quicker - or easier - way to turn your knowledge or writing skills into cash than by writing "special reports."
What is a special report?
It's a factual, nonfiction document on a specific - and usually highly specialized - topic (e.g., "how to sell coaching services on Twitter").
Special reports can be any length, from one side of a single sheet of paper to 50 pages or longer.
But most are short - typically 3 to 10 pages of single or double-spaced copy.
Special reports usually begin by discussing a particular problem ... and then providing practical solutions to that problem.
While special reports are fun to write and can be fun to read, they are not written for entertainment.
They are written to give the reader highly targeted information, advice, and strategies he desperately needs and can't easily get elsewhere.
The practical and useful nature of special reports makes them highly sought after by readers, especially online.
** You can sell the special reports you write for handsome profits. It's quite easy to do on the Internet, where you can deliver the report as a downloadable PDF file. No printing, binding, or shipping costs - almost pure profit.
** You can give away the special reports as bonuses for e-books, DVDs, audio CDs, and other paid information products you sell. Start offering free special reports as premiums and watch your sales soar!
** You can use the offer of a special report to generate leads for your coaching, speaking, copywriting, or consulting business - or any other service business. Offer a valuable report as an incentive to respond, and you can double your lead flow.
It's easy to profit with special reports
Just look at all the advantages you'll enjoy when you join me in the fun and lucrative business of writing and selling special reports:
- You don't need a PhD or other credentials ... a book publisher won't even think of publishing your book unless you're the top guru in your field. But anyone can write, publish, and profitable sell a special report on virtually any topic.
- You don't need to be Shakespeare or even Clayton Makepeace ... special report writing requires no special brilliance. Just convey important information in a clear, straightforward fashion, and your reports will move off the shelf with lightning speed.
- No manufacturing cost ... today special reports can be downloadable PDF documents instead of printed reports. You save a fortune on printing, storage, and shipping costs, because there are none.
- You can turn them out fast ... a short report on a topic in which you already have some expertise can be knocked out in less than a day. Topics you have to research from scratch might take a little longer.
- You can build a product line ... create a series of special reports, all related to a main theme or topic. When a customer buys your special report, you can upsell them on the spot to the others in the series.
- Your product is unique ... the report is copyrighted. You own all rights. It's yours exclusively. No one else can sell it or copy it without your permission.
- The demand is high ... we live in an information age, where people are hungry for specialized knowledge. Find a gap in the reader's knowledge and fill it and your reports will sell and sell.
- The price is low ... folks are getting tired paying exorbitant prices for costly boot camps, systems, and other elaborate, large-scale information products. They'll be relieved to discover your special reports for sale at much more reasonable prices.
- The profit margin is nearly 100% ... today we sell special reports as computer files, not ink and paper. So when we sell a report, it's virtually all profit. The margins in the special report business are spectacular.
Dash off short special reports for big bucks
Writing a full-length book or e-book is like running a marathon. It takes tremendous stamina and energy, and can leave you panting.
Writing special reports is like taking a short sprint or brisk walk: easier and more pleasant. Start in the morning, finish and print your report by the end of the day.
Now, in our e-book Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit: The Special Report on Special Reports, pro copywriter Whitney Smith and I show you how to make money writing and selling (and even giving away) special reports.
In it, you will discover:
- What is a "special report" - and how do marketers use them to make money? Page 4.
- Using special reports to promote politicians and political causes. Page 42.
- Get 8% more of web site visitors to download your report with a "floater." Page 5.
- How to generate leads online by offering your special report. Page 44.
- The 8 different types of special reports and how to write each. Page 7.
- Use social media to generate buzz for your special report. Page 47.
- Make money writing white papers for yourself and your clients. Page 8.
- The 4 elements you need in a website for downloading of your special reports. Page 51.
- Why Internet information junkies love special reports. Page 9.
- Getting affiliates to promote your special report for you. Page 52.
- 3 steps to identifying the target audience for your report. Page 11.
- 10 tips for increasing landing page conversion rates and getting more people to download your report. Page 55.
- 9 steps to writing online ads that sell more special reports. Page 61.
- How to choose the right topic for your next special report. Page 12.
- Capture more e-mail addresses with a "name squeeze" page. Page 58.
- 9 tips for selling high-priced special reports. Page 62.
- What keywords must you include in your report copy to help web surfers find it? Page 14.
- Posting and distributing your special reports on the web. Page 64.
- 9 questions to ask before you write your special report. Page 16.
- Distributing your white paper online through "content syndication." Page 67.
- 5 ways to write a more compelling title for your report. Page 17.
- How and where to sell special reports online. Page 69.
- Using the 4 U's formula to strengthen report titles and landing page headlines. Page 18.
- How to generate more qualified sales leads distributing special reports online. Page 72.
- Creating an outline for your special report. Page 19.
- Make more money selling your content online with "product bundling."
- Graphic design tips for special report layouts. Page 21.
- Researching the information you need to write your report. Page 23.
- Save time writing special reports by using free public domain content. Page 25.
- Create "evergreen" special reports and sell them forever. Page 27.
- A shortcut to creating great special reports: compilations and collections. Page 28.
- 11 steps to establishing your reputation as a guru in the topics of the reports you write. Page 30.
- Creating a winning unique selling proposition to help convince prospects to download your reports. Page 33.
- Using special reports to promote nonprofits and fundraising. Page 34.
- How a special report can help you launch your freelance writing business. Page 36.
- Case study: building a real estate business with free special reports. Page 39.
- Plus: keyword research tools ... article websites and directories ... white paper syndication sites ... social media networks ... video production tools ... web site design software ... books ... starts on page 77.
Praise for Bob Bly's marketing
and business advice
"You are awesome! I will always come to you first for the products that I need. You have class, integrity, brilliance, naturally gifted, and you are second to none! I am impressed with and appreciate your prompt response."
"Once in a blue moon, you get the chance to meet a living legend, one of the great men who has shaped his chosen field. In my unending pursuit of powerful marketing, I came face-to-face with just such a man. Robert Bly is America's Top Copywriter and a genius marketer. He's authored over 70 books for McGraw Hill and others, and gets paid more per word than nearly every author in America. Like all great men, he is a teacher and mentor extraordinaire. He freely shares the secrets of turning marketing into money."
"Bob, your stuff is always so good that even though I'm retired now, I have to read it!"
"You are someone I've grown to admire greatly. You share your knowledge with and encourage people in achieving their dreams, trying new things, and learning tricks of the trade. It's a rare 'guru' in our world today who is thoughtful and kind enough to help up and comers find the path to success. In my opinion, you are the very best. I'm grateful to you."
"After considering a number of high-level marketing professionals and reflecting on the matter for several weeks, I made the decision to ask Bob Bly to share the stage with me for my Twin Keys to Wealth-Building Conference. The reason I chose Bob is because I am convinced that he can deliver more tangible value to conference attendees than any other marketing or Internet expert on the planet."
--Robert Ringer, best-selling author
"I love your e-mails. Read every single one of them as they come in."
--Dr. Paul Hartunian
"I have huge admiration for your work. You're one of the few guys out there selling real information -- and selling it at a reasonable price! I think what you're doing is head and shoulders above others."
"I receive so many e-mail offers -- too many -- but Bob always delivers a product worth having. The marketplace for writing and marketing products has become over-hyped; in that environment it's reaffirming to see that Bob continues to stand for a level of quality that matters -- and happily, at a price that works. "
"Thank you for sending out your e-mail newsletter. There hasn't been a single issue you've sent out that I didn't learn something."
"I have bought a lot of your info products. The price is the most reasonable of what anyone is asking for their info products, especially considering the information is more to the point and more valuable than 99.99% of what is out there on the Internet."
"Just letting you know I'm enjoying the brochure book I purchased last week. Looking forward to using some of your suggestions."
--Mary Ellen Landolfi
Act now and save $20
The cover price of Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit is a very reasonable $49 - and that's what it will be selling for later this year.
But for a limited time only, it's your for just $29 ... a $20 savings off the list price ... less than I charge for just 5 minutes of my time!
And that's your investment only if you agree with me 100% that Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit can help you make thousands of dollars writing special reports.
If it doesn't, then it won't cost you a penny. Here's why....
Our 100% iron-clad
guarantee of satisfaction
I totally guarantee your satisfaction with my e-book, Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit.
If you are unhappy for any reason ... or for no reason at all ... just let me know within 90 days.
I'll give you a full and prompt refund. And you can keep the e-book with my compliments.
That way, you risk nothing.
But I urge you to hurry.
This special LOW PRICE of only $29 (a $20 discount off the $49 cover price) is for a limited time only.
And once it expires, it may never be repeated again.
So what are you waiting for?
To order Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit on a 90-day risk-free trial basis, just click here now:
Robert W. Bly
P.S. Order Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit and you get a FREE Special Bonus Report, Secrets of Successful Lead Generation (list price: $29).
In this free 57-page report, you'll discover:
- 50 quick ideas for generating more sales leads - page 16.
- Double your sales leads by offering a special report as a "bait piece" - page 36.
- 5 ways to capture e-mail addresses of landing page visitors - page 51.
- The "silver rule" of marketing ... ignore it at your peril - page 3.
- 31 ways to generate more inquiries from your ads - page 6.
- What my dad taught me about Yellow Pages advertising - page 20.
- 4 steps to selecting a winning premium - page 9.
- Make more sales with the "takeaway close" - page 44.
- 10 ways to increase trade show booth attendance with direct mail - page 23.
- The key to great inquiry fulfillment - page 29.
- The 5-step motivating sequence to more persuasive copy - page 12.
- Make your PR generate not just media coverage but orders, too - page 41.
- And so much more....
Best of all, this bonus report - a $29 value -- is yours to keep FREE ... even if you request a refund on the e-book!
To order Writing Special Reports for Fun and Profit ... and claim your free bonus report ... just click below now:
Bob Bly is a full-time freelance copywriter specializing in online, direct response, and b-to-b marketing. He earned more than $700,000 last year from his freelance writing, and became a self-made multi-millionaire while still in his 30s.
A copywriter for more than a quarter of a century, Bob has written promotions for over 100 clients including Phillips, Agora, KCI, 21st Century, Weiss Research, EBI Medical Systems, Sony, IBM, AT&T, Grumman, Crain Communications, McGraw-Hill, Intuit, and AlliedSignal.
Bob is the author of more than 70 books including The Copywriter's Handbook (Henry Holt) and Internet Direct Mail (NTC Business Books).
He has published more than 100 articles in such publications as Subscription Marketing, Direct, Business Marketing, Writer's Digest, and Amtrak Express.
Bob's writing awards include a Gold Echo from the Direct Marketing Association, an IMMY from the Information Industry Association, two Southstar Awards, an American Corporate Identity Award of Excellence, and the Standard of Excellence award from the Web Marketing Association. He also taught writing at New York University.
Bob has appeared as a guest on dozens of TV and radio shows including The Advertising Show, Bernard Meltzer, CNBC, and CBS Hard Copy. He has been featured in major media ranging from the LA Times and Nation's Business to the New York Post and the National Enquirer. He was a featured speaker at the 2006 annual conference of the National Speakers Association.
Around his 50th birthday, Bob started CTC Publishing, a small Internet information marketing business, with no products and no web sites. A few short years later, he has over 50 information products and five dozen web sites generating average daily passive income of over a thousand dollars.
about Bob Bly
"Good things are happening. I am getting a steady stream of Trial and Demo requests from the new site. These requestors are filling out the entire contact form. The site is simpler now, and I am still working to make it even more so. I appreciate your work."
—Jim Romano, DataForceOne
"Thank you so much for your wonderful work. It has been a pleasure working with you and I look forward to working with you on another project in the near future. You were always available, quick to answer questions and always exceeded my expectations. You truly are a gifted writer."
—Aaron Griffith, The Griffith
"Bob, again thanks for the great copy. You consistently help us reach customers with compelling, actionable content, when others just can't!"
—William McElleney, IBM
"The feedback keeps coming in and we all agree yours was a truly helpful, useful, insightful and effective workshop. You did a fantastic job inspiring the troops and we've already begun applying some of the key learnings."
—Paul Connors, Copywriting Manager, A large financial services company in the Chicago area
"Bob...your creative work, patience, and 'partnership' with us at IT Group has virtually propelled us to another level of business professionalism and recognition. The response we've received from your letters has been nothing short of tremendous. We've not only derived significant business from these unforgettable mailings--your efforts have sparked a creative energy within our ranks which will assist us in years to come. Thanks for your guidance and counsel."
—John A. Fallone, IT Group International
"I hired Bob on his reputation, and found it is well-deserved. His fact-finding process in preparation to write our copy was both painless and enlightening. The final deliverables were right on time as promised, and better than expected – which is saying a lot because my expectations were high. The first time I read his copy for our project, I literally got chills down my back – he nailed it the first time. Wow."
—Dennis Rosenberg, VP Marketing, VNUS Medical Technologies, Inc.
"Bob Bly did an amazing job with our company brochure. We are very impressed with his capacity to learn our product and to write copy so clearly and pointedly. Bob Bly is a great marketing investment."
—Michael Manoussos, Manhole Barrier Systems
"Great white paper! I'm in favor of the entire submission. Please congratulate Bob on a great effort."
—Michael C. Howard, Chasm Recovery
"Your Tax Loopholes ad looked great and is performing very well. Thanks for the strong copy."
—Brian Kurtz, Boardroom
"You did an excellent job. It's been a pleasure working with you on this project."
—Edward Brunet, Decatur Professional Development, LLC
"Thank you very, very much for doing such a great job on the ad. I was one of those folks who would read the ads in the DAK catalog by Drew Kaplan and this was as enjoyable for me as that."
—Chris Pickering, MeritDirect
"Bob . . . Just got the copy and advertisement you did for my new book . . . It's great! You are good! Great job . . . you have tremendous insights into what excites and what sells!"
—Don Libey, Libey Incorporated
"In my opinion, you are the best copywriter in the software industry."
—Judy MacDonald, Director of Marketing, Direct Response
"When I received the piece, I thought, I'll have to skim over it now and read it later. But, once I started, I couldn't stop! You did a GREAT job with Ken's story. I love it. It kept me reading. I'm VERY pleased with it."
—Craig Simpson, Ken Roberts Company
"Bob, It's been a pleasure to work with you!!! Thank you so much! I'm very happy with the copy; I feel it will give me good results."
—Alejandra P. Bigai, Romanicos Chocolate
"Thanks again for a great job."
—Davis Ross, Ross Advertising
"I just wanted to thank you again for the excellent work you did for us. You are the man and I can't tell you how much I admired your approach and service. Although I've never worked with a copywriter before, I think you set the standard pretty high. I look forward to working with you again. You certainly have my vote for the next round!"
—DP Jovine, Tycoon Research
"Great job – I'm always amazed at how you can boil the complex down into simple terms. It flows very well."
—Kyle Hodgens, Capital Financial Media
"Thank you for the copy. I see why you're the expert. It's so simple, it's brilliant."
—Sau Hyoung Pak, Big Machine
"The radio spots are very well done. I am very impressed with your work and copywriting expertise. We will be making the changes to the print ad as you suggested. In the future we may work with you to design a totally new print ad. Again I'd like to say I'm impressed with your services. You were prompt, informative, and definitely know your stuff. We will be recommending you to others and doing repeat business."
—Joshua Andrews, Health Solutions, LLC
"When people get to the promotion, the promotion has a good conversion rate. In one test, it actually had a 14% conversion to sale... can't ask for much better than that."
—David Galland, Casey Research
"I loved the ad! I don't see any reason for revision so I have already put through a check request for the balance I owe you on the ad. We are very excited about this one. I can't wait to see how it does. Thanks so much!"
—Alice Wessendorf, Agora Health Book
"I show off the work that we did on lead generation for negotiation -- as well as the conversion program from HMCL -- as big successes."
—Paul Szymanski, Harvard Business School Publishing
"Thank you for being very instrumental on making the launch of the wealth management book such a resounding success. It was so successful that we had to request more copies."
-Ingrid Boney, II
"Thanks, Bob! You are awesome to work with."
--Matt Morsa, Stock Secrets, Inc.
"I've spoken to a thousand copywriters over the years and Bob Bly is the best. He knows what he's doing."
--Joe Culotta, Natural Medicine Co.
"I am happy to report to you that your piece out produced the 4 other packages we tested against it. I want to talk to you about another project...."
--Nick Roumi, Pacific Coast Funding
"This is an outstanding letter. Really nice work!"
--Paul Szymanski, Harvard Business School Publishing
"Like the package ... the tone ... I think it's excellent."
--Bill Caskey, Caskey Sales Achievement
"We are very pleased with your copy approach because your copy seems to speak to the neurologist better than the copy in previous promotions. Moreover, your copy presses the sell better and more effectively. I really value your direct marketing copy capabilities and I'm thrilled to have you working with MedLink."
--Jim Chacona, MedLink
"Just wanted to take a moment to sincerely thank you for the hard work and energy you've poured into the Sinatra product package. You are a joy to work with."
--Gail Diggs, Phillips Health
"Thanks again... you did a great job."
--Caleb Cherry, Capital Financial Media
"You are a genius! I rarely love copy this much from the get-go. You hit it on the head!"
--Sara Pond, Nightingale-Conant
"The original ad insert of 'Wall Street's Loss is Your Gain' continues to kick butt -- pulls 12 to 15 subscriptions a week. Not bad for a $500 investment made 5 months ago."
--Charles Mizrahi, Stealth Stocks
"As a marketing professional, for 17 years I wrote my own promotional material. But I am not a professional copywriter. It wasn't until I took my own advice that I started getting the results I deserved. With Bob Bly, I got what I wanted - in the promised time frame - with re-writes - and the results I wanted. Thanks, Bob!"
--Mark Amtower, Amtower & Company
"I found your ad copy compelling, powerful ...even entertaining. You really communicated the 'feel' of the message we are selling. Thanks for such great work, Bob!"
--Ashley Earnhardt Aiken, Thomas Nelson Publishers
"Bob wrote the most ballsy ad in the history of Dynamic Changes and it set sales records this fall. People couldn't stop themselves from responding."
--Richard Scheffren, Dynamic Changes Hypnosis
"Last year you did all the copy on the What Would Jesus Eat brochure. It was wonderful and I believe is one of the reasons that the book continues to do so very well."
--Pamela Clements, Thomas Nelson Publishers
"Your work for me is outstanding."
--Thomas Massie, BRIDGELINE Software
"Your copy looks great. Thank you for the great job. I want you to know that one of the things I'm grateful for this year is meeting you and developing a relationship which is beneficial to both of us."
--Jack McDonough, U.S. Tax Corporation
"A special thanks to Bob for doing a superb job and making this work so well. I felt like a brilliant puppet in your hands."
--Michael Masterson, AWAI
"Even though he refuses to admit it, Bob is THE Direct Marketing guru ... or, at the very least, he's mine."
--Jill Perri, American Consultants League
"Great copy! I love it!"
--Marlene Jensen, The Newsletter Group
"You've done great work with this package. I'm sure it wasn't easy doing all of the research to get all of the facts you've assembled. I learned things reading this package and I think for tech investors, this level of detail and fact finding provides a lot of credibility. I think it's a winner."
--Porter Stansberry, Porter Stansberry's Investment Advisory
"The postcard copy is super!"
--Gary Yondol, Media Planet
"Bob's ad is doing great!"
--Kusko, Dynamic Changes Hypnosis
"Thanks Bob. I appreciate all your work."
--Paul Goldberg, PJ Promotions
"I am thrilled with your package, it is doing great - will roll out as the control."
--Chris Gast, Intuit
"Your package for AWAI's desktop design course won the test, outperforming our other package by over 50%."
--Katie Yeakle, AWAI
"Just wanted to let you know that as of today we have a 13.5% response (orders, not just click-throughs) for Stealth Stocks from the e-mail you wrote for us."
--Gary Mizrahi, Stealth Stock